Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi born in Porbandar (Gujarat) on October 2, 1869 and died assassinated in Delhi on January 30, 1948, was the preeminent leader of the Indian independence movement in British-ruled India.
Employing nonviolent civil disobedience, Gandhi led India to independence and inspired movements for civil rights and freedom across the world.
Seven Social Sins
1. Wealth without work.
2. Pleasure without conscience.
3. Knowledge without character.
4. Commerce without morality.
5. Science without humanity.
6. Religion without sacrifice.
7. Politics without principle.
- "Love is the most powerful strength which possesses the world, and nevertheless it is the most humble who can imagine".
- "Hatred ever kills, love never dies".
- "The golden rule of conduct is mutual toleration".
- "Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony".
- "The enemy is fear. We think it is hate; but it is really fear".
- "The Truth has to establish the center of all our activity, it has to be the breath of our life".
- "An ounce of patience is worth more than a tonne of preaching".
- "Cowardice is impotence worse than violence. The coward desires revenge but being afraid to die, he looks to others, maybe to the government of the day, to do the work of defense for him. A coward is less than a man. He does not deserve to be a member of a society of men and women".
- "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever".
- "Nobody can hurt me without my permission".
- "At the moment when the slave decides that he will not be any more slave, its chains fall".
- "Prayer is not asking. It is a longing of the soul. It is daily admission of one's weakness. It is better in prayer to have a heart without words than words without a heart".
- "Without action, you arenít going anywhere".
"Keep your thoughts positive because your thoughts become your words.
Keep your words positive because your words become your behavior.
Keep your behavior positive because your behavior becomes your habits.
Keep your habits positive because your habits become your values.
Keep your values positive because your values become your destiny".
ďA man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks he becomes".
"For a bowl of water give a godly meal;
For a kindly gesture bow thou down with zeal;
For a simple penny pay thou back with gold;
If thy life be rescued, life do not withhold.
Thus the words and actions of the wise regard;
Every little service tenfold they reward.
But the truly noble know all men as one,
And return with gladness good for evil done".
- ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated".
- "Wildlife is decreasing in the jungles, but it is increasing in the towns".
- "What we are doing to the forests of the world is but a mirror reflection of what we are doing to ourselves and to one another".
- My own opinion is that just as fundamentally man and woman are one, their problems must be one in essence.
- "Woman must cease to consider herself the object of manís lust".
- "Man has regarded woman as his tool. She has learnt to be his tool and in the end found it is easy and pleasurable to be such, because when one drags another in his fall, the descent is easy".
- "If I were born a woman, I would rise in rebellion against any pretension on the part of man that woman is born to be his plaything. I have mentally become a woman in order to steal into her heart. I could not steal into my wifeís heart until I decided to treat her differently than I used to do, and so I restored to her all her rights by dispossessing myself of all my so-called rights as her husband".
- "The woman has circumvented man in a variety of ways in her unconsciously subtle ways, as the man has vainly and equally consciously struggled to thwart the woman in gaining ascendancy over him".
- "If nonviolence is the law of our being, the future is with woman".
- "The world has enough for everyone's need, but not enough for everyone's greed".
- "The rich have superfluous store of things which they do not need and which are, therefore, neglected and wasted, while millions are starved to death for want of sustenance. If each retained possession of only what he needed, no one would be in want, and all would live in contentment""."
- "The rich cannot accumulate wealth without the co-operation of the poor in society".
- "Remember that all through history, there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they seem invincible. But in the end, they always fall. Always".
- "Individual liberty and interdependence are both essential for life in society".
- "I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil, it does, is permanent.".
- "See the good in people and help them".
- "You must be the change you wish to see in the world".
- "I do not want my house to be walled in on all sides and my windows to be stuffed. I want the cultures of all the lands to be blown about my house as freely as possible. But I refuse to be blown off my feet by any".
- "There Is No Way to Peace, Peace Is the Way".